IGS Hawkeye Heritage Queries
Queries are often overlooked as a genealogical research tool. A query is simply a question about
a particular person or topic. A query example would be:
295-39 BUTZ, MOORE, WARRINGTON
Who were par of Ruth MOORE WARRINGTON? Ruth b 1804, d 1889 Dallas Co,
IA, hus John WARRINGTON. Son John H. m Eliza BUTZ. Eliza b 1835 OH, d 1908 Dallas
Center, IA. John H., Eliza, and her mo Elizabeth BUTZ (b 1797, d 1885) bur King Cem. What
was Elizabeth's maiden name?
-Carlie Hall, complete mailing address
As a member of the IGS, you are entitled to submit queries free of charge. If you are not a
member of the IGS, there is a $5.00 USD charge per query.
How to Submit a Query
- Type or print your query, double-spaced on 8 1/2" x 11" paper. Please limit your query to 50 words or less.
- Ask questions. What specific information are you searching for?
- Don't abbreviate. Our queries editor will make the correct abbreviations.
- Read your query. Are the names, places and dates correct? Are they legible to a person not
familiar with the information? Can the maiden names be easily identified?
- Did you remember to include your name and address?
Mail your queries, along with the correct monies in the form of check or money order, to:IGS-NET
Attn: Query Editor
628 East Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309-1924
Queries are printed as space permits, usually only one query per person per issue of the
Hawkeye Heritage. The IGS reserves the right to edit and/or reject material submitted for